A Discussion Group in the Team Space type appears as a standard Discussion widget, to which members can post comments. Unlike the Discussion widget, ordinary members can create and control it, and it may include only a subset of members of the Space.
You might create a Discussion Group if a few of the members of the Space were working particularly closely with each other on some component which was to contribute to the overall outcome. If the Space was dedicated to producing a piece of software, you might have a discussion group for those working on the user interface.
- The discussion group itself must have an administrator, which by default is the member who created it.
- The administrator of a discussion group is not necessarily the administrator of the Space that contains it.
- If you are the last discussion group administrator in a discussion group, and you choose to leave it, you will be asked to promote another member of the group to be its administrator.
- This is not the same as promoting them to be an administrator of the Space.
- When you have left a discussion group, the group appears in the Home Screen as a separate Space which you have received an invitation to join.
- If you rejoin the discussion group from the Home Screen, you enter the Space which contains the discussion group, with the discussion group visible under Groups.
- The discussion group does not appear in the Home Screen if you are a member of it.
When you select a Discussion Group, you see the existing comments (if any):
Type text into the Comment field using a version of Markdown. The version supported by Spaces uses:
- Two asterisks surrounding text to indicate **bold**
- One asterisk surrounding text to indicate *italic* .
- One to four hash signs at the start of a line to indicate a # Header (1 is the largest, 4 the smallest)
- An asterisk at the start of each line to indicate a list
- A number at the start of each line to indicate a numbered list
- Vertical bars surrounding each cell to indicate tables
For information about less common formatting, click the help icon in the formatting ribbon.
Alternatively, use the controls in the formatting ribbon to insert bold text, italic text, a header, quoted text, lists, links, and images.
Click the Format toggle to show the formatting toolbar.
- Click the Attach button to attach a file to your comment.
- Click the Post button to send the message to the discussion.
Each existing comment has a menu that you can access by clicking the down arrow that appears when you hover over it. From the menu you can:
- Quote the comment in your own comment
- Remove Comment if you made it yourself
In the Action Button Bar, the Discussion Group widget offers:
Get a summary of information about the widget.
Get a list of the participants in the discussion group.
- Leave the discussion group by clicking the Leave button
Add participants by clicking the Add Participant button
(Discussion group administrator only)
The Add Participant button does not appear if you are not the administrator of the discussion group.
(Discussion group administrator only)
Open a Reports sidebar for the discussion group:
Click the Members icon to get a list of members.
Click the ExportCSV button to export a file called members.csv that can be opened in most spreadsheets. The file contains information about what members there are, what actions each has taken, using what device, and when.
Click the Logs icon to see activity for the Space.
Click Export CSV to export a file called logs.csv, which contains information about all activity in the Space itself, including changing the appearance, issuing invitations, locking and unlocking, and reordering the widgets. It also contains all the information in the members.csv and widgets.csv files.
- Click the Refresh button to update the reports.
- Click the Download button to download a file called space.csv, which contains a full information log (the same information as logs.csv, plus information about reporting itself).
- In addition, the standard task icons are available (for discussion group administrators only).
See: Managing tasks for a widget